California’s EV charging network could use a jolt, a trip down I-5 shows...

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 1:17:30 AM UTC-4, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 9:16:00 PM UTC-7, Flyguy wrote:

...the vast majority of car parking spots DO NOT have any EV charging whatsoever.

So? They don\'t have gas pumps either.
Most parking events are not for the purpose of car charging.
And people living in apartments MUST rely on public EV charging stations..
... also public roads and sidewalks and police and... all the services an apartment
dweller needs, why would charging stations be the important one?

Come on. Give the guy credit when he is right. If we want BEVs to work, we are going to have to put charging points at every parking space in the country. It is simply not possible to put 10 kWh into a vehicle unless it is always plugged in, 24/7 other than the time it is being driven. 10 kWh is an ENORMOUS amount of electrical power. That\'s almost as much as used by your electric hot water heater!!!

Oh, that\'s right, they are switching over to heat pumps for those. But I\'ve never understood how that saves energy if the heater is inside the home. You suck heat out of the house and put it in the water, using a quarter of the electricity a straight heater would use. But how do you get the heat back into the house? In the winter this costs money. Do I misunderstand what\'s happening?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 3:25:30 AM UTC-4, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 23/09/2022 04:55, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 12:30:38 PM UTC+10, John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:20:21 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

What a mess! Wonder what is causing the failures? Sounds like it may be more with connection issues than the hardware. They\'ve got to do way better than this if they expect to even come close to accommodating a total EV conversion- there are going to be so many cars trying to get on the chargers.

https://www.latimes.com/environment/newsletter/2022-09-22/boiling-point-californias-ev-charging-network-could-use-a-jolt-a-trip-down-i-5-shows-boiling-point

If it takes 15x as long to charge an EV as it takes to gas up an IC
car, there is going to be a giant real estate problem.

Twaddle. Cars are parked 95% of the time, and most EV\'s get charged relatively slowing from regular mains sockets, not by fast chargers.
But that wasn\'t what the article was about. It was about the EV charging
experience during a 400 mile trip. I assume that sort of distance
wouldn\'t be particularly unusual in the USA or indeed Australia
(although it would be in the UK where I am).

What would have happened if the driver hadn\'t been able to find a
charging point at Interstate 5 at Frazier Mountain Park Road? Even then,
he could only get 9 miles of charge after a 75 minute wait. If he ran
out of petrol with an IC car, he\'d probably be able to get a lift to a
garage and buy a gallon can of petrol and take it back to his vehicle,
which would be enough to get him 30 miles or so to a garage and to fill
up. With an EV, the ironic option would be to get a service vehicle with
a pretty big IC-powered generator in the back, and wait an hour for it
to charge his EV\'s batteries sufficiently to get enough range to reach a
charging station. Or are there EV service vehicles with large batteries
in the back with which to charge the stranded EV vehicle\'s batteries?

Why do people who don\'t drive electric vehicles, get so wigged out by articles about how hard it is to charge electric vehicles???

What\'s the deal?

Most people who post in this group are old enough, that even with the 2035 mandate of some states, will never need to drive a BEV if they don\'t want to.

So why all the bellyaching? If you aren\'t going to drive a BEV, stop complaining about them. The industry and the charging infrastructure are not constants. They will grow and improve, so that, someday, if you live long enough to be forced to buy one, you may actually like driving a BEV... if you still have a license by then.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 1:00:45 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
What a mess! Wonder what is causing the failures? Sounds like it may be more with connection issues than the hardware. They\'ve got to do way better than this if they expect to even come close to accommodating a total EV conversion- there are going to be so many cars trying to get on the chargers.

https://www.latimes.com/environment/newsletter/2022-09-22/boiling-point-californias-ev-charging-network-could-use-a-jolt-a-trip-down-i-5-shows-boiling-point
CA is now mandating only heat pumps for residential and commercial
buildings, no more NG for air and water heating.

If the heat pumps are in the living space... the HEATED living space, isn\'t the heat for the heat pump being paid for separately? So the heat pump water heater is just shifting the cost to the heating bill, rather than the electric bill, no?

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 6:50:31 PM UTC-4, Fred Bloggs wrote:
On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 4:23:59 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 10:51:26 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs

Actually that is a really good move. To me it only makes sense to have all the essential energy consuming loads using a single universal source of supply.
Which they are actively working to destroy.
Now instead of tens of millions of individual gas burning installations, they can use the NG to power centralized electrical energy generation that gets transmitted over the universal energy grid to power the loads using the single universal energy type, electricity. Open architecture doesn\'t work for something like this, it\'s just plain wasteful and inefficient.
What\'s the efficiency of NG power plants making electricity to run
heat pumps (and resistive heaters when it\'s cold) ?
Modern heat pumps shouldn\'t have to run resistive heaters anymore. The heater strip should be standby heating for equipment failure.
The outdoor units use a heater for periodic de-icing but it\'s not much- and they can actually replace that with a hot gas defrost if they haven\'t already.

I\'ve never seen a heat pump with the heater on the outside coils. There is a backup heating element to provide heat when the heat pump can\'t handle the load. When the outside coil freezes, the electric element is turned on and the heat pump runs in A/C mode heating the outside coils from the inside air. Because the electric element is on, no one feels a cold draft.

The old fogeys don\'t think a heater is heating if it\'s not blowing 140oF air out the plenum.

The cheapskates need to upgrade the insulation performance of their homes, and that includes windows and doors.

That doesn\'t change the effectiveness of a heat pump.

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 18:44:23 UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
If the heat pumps are in the living space... the HEATED living space, isn\'t the heat for the heat pump being paid for separately? So the heat pump water heater is just shifting the cost to the heating bill, rather than the electric bill, no?

Heat pump water heaters are not put in the heated space. In California they are typically in the garage or basement.

That space will admittedly get colder as heat is extracted.

kw

On 9/23/22 10:51, Fred Bloggs wrote:

Actually that is a really good move. To me it only makes sense to have all the essential energy consuming loads using a single universal source of supply. Now instead of tens of millions of individual gas burning installations, they can use the NG to power centralized electrical energy generation that gets transmitted over the universal energy grid to power the loads using the single universal energy type, electricity. Open architecture doesn\'t work for something like this, it\'s just plain wasteful and inefficient.

Politicians can\'t do math.
Nor do they understand \"single point of failure\", and the implications
to the economy & national security.

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 10:20:38 PM UTC-4, ke...@kjwdesigns.com wrote:
On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 18:44:23 UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

Heat pump water heaters are not put in the heated space. In California they are typically in the garage or basement.

That space will admittedly get colder as heat is extracted.

Here most people end up finishing a basement where the water heater is installed. I\'ve never seen on in a garage. If you have to turn off the water heater for some reason (like it\'s got a defective heating element) it could freeze in a garage. I guess they don\'t get much freezing weather in most of CA. Even so, as the ambient temps get colder, a heat pump becomes less effective and more costly. House heat pumps usually quit and switch to backup around freezing.

So if the water heater is in a heated space, you have to pay for the heat, then pay to move it into the water heater. That\'s not an improvement, I think... maybe if the heat source is really cheap, it works out. I just think most people buying them don\'t actually understand what is going on. I had to think about it for more than a moment the first time I saw one. Maybe I\'m getting old.

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 10:17:30 PM UTC-7, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 9:16:00 PM UTC-7, Flyguy wrote:

...the vast majority of car parking spots DO NOT have any EV charging whatsoever.

So? They don\'t have gas pumps either.

How many cars do you see backed up waiting for gas? Most gas stations I go to I don\'t have to wait at all (Costco might be an exception). If it takes EIGHT HOURS to charge your EV you will give up and go home! It is a WHOLE DIFFERENT BALL GAME when it comes to EV charging - it is BAD now with a VERY SMALL percentage of EVs; wait until you get up to 50% and it will be a MESS! Especially if they start do rolling BLACKOUTS! You guys haven\'t thought this out, especially the senile pervert Lyin\' Biden.

Most parking events are not for the purpose of car charging.
... also public roads and sidewalks and police and... all the services an apartment

So the FUCK WHAT? I don\'t have to stand in line to use the fucking SIDEWALK, TWERP!

> dweller needs, why would charging stations be the important one?

Because they need to GET TO WORK, TWERP!

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 10:58:08 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 2:16:00 PM UTC+10, Flyguy wrote:
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 8:55:20 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:

If it takes 15x as long to charge an EV as it takes to gas up an IC car, there is going to be a giant real estate problem.

Twaddle. Cars are parked 95% of the time, and most EV\'s get charged relatively slowing from regular mains sockets, not by fast chargers.

And California is working on making the power grid unreliable too.

The US enthusiasm for privatising natural monopolies is an ideology driven idiocy. The ENRON scandal should have made that clear, but the Gnatguy component in the US electorate is vocal and unwilling to notice evidence that they don\'t like.

Bill conveniently ignores that the vast majority of car parking spots DO NOT have any EV charging whatsoever.

Not yet. Those used by EV car owners do tend to get them.

Then WHEN! You libtards say it will just materialize out of thin air, pretty much like senile pervert Lyin\' Biden. The situation now is DIRE reading reports from people trying to survive with the ill-conceived monsters.

I live in an apartment, and at our last owner\'s meeting we did discuss how we were going to provide charging for EV\'s parked in the basement.

We do need smart chargers so the cost of the power fed into the car ends up getting paid for by the car\'s owner. Some of the speaker wanted the information passed back over wifi links, which is nuts when we\'ve have fast data links over mains wiring for decades now

Hey Bozo, that is PURE GIBBERISH! At best, you have a fairy tail, pie in the sky, nightmare dream of the future.

This is a BIG problem with relatively few EVs - imagine the problem when ALL of the cars are EVs.
By then the problem, such as it is, will have been solved.

More PIE IN THE SKY!

Note that Bill identifies a fictitious person call \"Gnatguy\" who has NEVER posted to SED.

If only he were fictitious. He\'s depressingly real, and easily identifiable. He uses the non-name Bozo quite a lot.

NO! No one has EVER posted on SED with that moniker!

On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 5:09:03 PM UTC+10, Flyguy wrote:

If it takes 15x as long to charge an EV as it takes to gas up an IC car, there is going to be a giant real estate problem.

And California is working on making the power grid unreliable too..

The US enthusiasm for privatising natural monopolies is an ideology driven idiocy. The ENRON scandal should have made that clear, but the Gnatguy component in the US electorate is vocal and unwilling to notice evidence that they don\'t like.

Bill conveniently ignores that the vast majority of car parking spots DO NOT have any EV charging whatsoever.

Then WHEN!

Silly question. Pick as specific parking spot and it might be be worth asking, but only for that parking spot.

> You libtards say it will just materialize out of thin air, pretty much like Joe Biden.

Cite?

> The situation now is DIRE reading reports from people trying to survive with the ill-conceived monsters.

Most of the EV drivers I\'ve run into seem happy with their vehicles.

And people living in apartments MUST rely on public EV charging stations.

I live in an apartment, and at our last owner\'s meeting we did discuss how we were going to provide charging for EV\'s parked in the basement.

We do need smart chargers so the cost of the power fed into the car ends up getting paid for by the car\'s owner. Some of the speaker wanted the information passed back over wifi links, which is nuts when we\'ve have fast data links over mains wiring for decades now.

Hey Bill, that is PURE GIBBERISH! At best, you have a fairy tale, pie in the sky, nightmare dream of the future.

You don\'t understand it, but that makes you an idiot. The text isn\'t any kind of gibberish even if claiming that it is makes you feel better about your cognitive defect.

> > >This is a BIG problem with relatively few EVs - imagine the problem when ALL of the cars are EVs.

What is supposed to be a \"big problem\". Do tell.

More PIE IN THE SKY!

The solution is obvious and perfectly practical, even if you can\'t understand the solution.

Note that Bill identifies a fictitious person call \"Gnatguy\" who has NEVER posted to SED.

If only he were fictitious. He\'s depressingly real, and easily identifiable. He uses the non-name Bozo quite a lot.

But a fly is very like a gnat. You\'d prefer Flyguy to be parsed as \"flying guy\" as opposed to \"filthy flying insect guy\" but what you post fits the second interpretation rather better. \"High on some controlled substance guy\" could work too, but you\'d have to be high whenever you posted to be as consistently irrational as you are.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

John Larkin <jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
news:v65sihlfk6a1s2u6ukok7aft19d8kfsqln@4ax.com:

Which they are actively working to destroy.

You are actively trying to be even more stupid than the current group
leader of utter stupidity, Jan Pan. And you are succeeding, putz.

<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

Yet another study/guess:

https://studyfinds.org/electric-cars-charged-at-night-grid-unstable/

People need to charge when the sun shines. Good luck, Wisconsin.

On Saturday, 24 September 2022 at 08:09:31 UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

Wisconsin averages over four hours of sun per day for fixed tilt solar panels.

Over three hours per day in winter.

https://www.turbinegenerator.org/solar/wisconsin/

The UK and Germany both have significant amounts of solar generation and they are much further north than Wisconsin and don\'t have sunny weather to brag about.

kw

On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 15:19:25 -0700 (PDT), \"ke...@kjwdesigns.com\"
<keith@kjwdesigns.com> wrote:

The UK and Germany both have significant amounts of solar generation and they are much further north than Wisconsin and don\'t have sunny weather to brag about.

kw

They don\'t have much electricity either.

On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 1:09:31 AM UTC+10, John Larkin wrote:

Yet another study/guess:

Not strictly true. Put in enough grid storage and people can charge their cars any time they like. Of course you lose roughly 15% of the energy you put into a battery, so it\'s going to end up costing 15% more to recharge car batteries from grid storage at night.

If Wisconsin went in for wind turbines, charging overnight would be less of problem, but John Larkin doesn\'t seem to know much about that renewable source of electric power.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 8:38:09 AM UTC+10, John Larkin wrote:
On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 15:19:25 -0700 (PDT), \"ke...@kjwdesigns.com\"
ke...@kjwdesigns.com> wrote:

They don\'t have much electricity either.

I wonder why John Larkin thinks that. They are both advanced industrial countries, (though the UK is less advanced than Germany and complacent about it) and pretty good at getting the electricity they need when they need it.. There are a bunch of undersea cables that can ship electricity the UK across the channel and the North Sea when it need it. Germany is even better networked.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 12:46:20 AM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 5:09:03 PM UTC+10, Flyguy wrote:

And California is working on making the power grid unreliable too.

Then WHEN!
Silly question. Pick as specific parking spot and it might be be worth asking, but only for that parking spot.

You libtards say it will just materialize out of thin air, pretty much like Joe Biden.

Cite?
The situation now is DIRE reading reports from people trying to survive with the ill-conceived monsters.
Most of the EV drivers I\'ve run into seem happy with their vehicles.
And people living in apartments MUST rely on public EV charging stations.

We do need smart chargers so the cost of the power fed into the car ends up getting paid for by the car\'s owner. Some of the speaker wanted the information passed back over wifi links, which is nuts when we\'ve have fast data links over mains wiring for decades now.

Hey Bozo, that is PURE GIBBERISH! At best, you have a fairy tale, pie in the sky, nightmare dream of the future.

You don\'t understand it, but that makes you an idiot. The text isn\'t any kind of gibberish even if claiming that it is makes you feel better about your cognitive defect.
This is a BIG problem with relatively few EVs - imagine the problem when ALL of the cars are EVs.
What is supposed to be a \"big problem\". Do tell.

Are you SERIOUS, Bozo? The BIG PROBLEM is that you have MILLIONS of EVs trying to use THOUSANDS of charging stations SIMULATEOUSLY, which means waiting times of not HOURS, but DAYS!

More PIE IN THE SKY!
The solution is obvious and perfectly practical, even if you can\'t understand the solution.

Leaving the \"solution\" to libtards like you means that NOTHING HAPPENS.

But a fly is very like a gnat. You\'d prefer Flyguy to be parsed as \"flying guy\" as opposed to \"filthy flying insect guy\" but what you post fits the second interpretation rather better. \"High on some controlled substance guy\" could work too, but you\'d have to be high whenever you posted to be as consistently irrational as you are.

Hardly, Bozo. You WOULD NOT get on ANY aircraft flown by a \"gnat.\" You would DEMAND a licensed pilot such as myself.

--
Bozo Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 5:10:39 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:

Yet another study/guess:

Not strictly true. Put in enough grid storage and people can charge their cars any time they like. Of course you lose roughly 15% of the energy you put into a battery, so it\'s going to end up costing 15% more to recharge car batteries from grid storage at night.

Hey Bozo, \"Put in enough grid storage\" means that the people in charge, like senile pervert Lyin\' Biden, are actually on top of the problem and are ACTIVELY taking measures to make this happen - this is DECIDELY NOT THE CASE, as I have detailed over and OVER AGAIN! Everybody seems to be waiting for SOMEONE ELSE to solve the problem (like YOU, Bozo!).

If Wisconsin went in for wind turbines, charging overnight would be less of problem, but John Larkin doesn\'t seem to know much about that renewable source of electric power.

And WTF happens WHEN the wind STOPS BLOWING, BOZO????

--
Bozo Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 12:59:12 AM UTC-4, Flyguy wrote:

Yet another study/guess:

Hey Bozo, \"Put in enough grid storage\" means that the people in charge, like senile pervert Lyin\' Biden, are actually on top of the problem and are ACTIVELY taking measures to make this happen - this is DECIDELY NOT THE CASE, as I have detailed over and OVER AGAIN! Everybody seems to be waiting for SOMEONE ELSE to solve the problem (like YOU, Bozo!).

Who will Inherit the Wind?

--

Rick C.

++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 2:59:12 PM UTC+10, Flyguy wrote:

<snip>

Hey Bozo, \"Put in enough grid storage\" means that the people in charge, like Joe Biden, are actually on top of the problem and are ACTIVELY taking measures to make this happen - this is DECIDELY NOT THE CASE, as I have detailed over and OVER AGAIN! Everybody seems to be waiting for SOMEONE ELSE to solve the problem (like YOU).

You\'ve ventilated your hysterical anxieties often enough. You haven\'t got a clue so nobody takes you seriously.

The people in charge of supplying the grid storage are the people who make money out of selling the service they offer. The whole point about a free market economy is that if there\'s money to be made out of providing a service, somebody will invest the money to make it happen and collect the profit.

Joe Biden doesn\'t actually need to do very much at all. The Australian utility companies seem to be in the process of buying and installing that kind of storage, despite the fact that the previous government (and the mining companies that influenced it) wanted them to invest in more coal fired generating plants.

That\'s what you\'ve got batteries for. And long distance high voltage links to places where the wind is blowing.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back